How to prevent yoga injuries?
More often than not, majority of today’s yoga crowd suffers from various injuries during or after their course of practice. Some of the major reasons include-
- Incorrect practice of postures for an extended period of time
- Overstretching of joints and muscles
- Poor guidance by the teacher
- Ignorance towards one’s bodily limitations
- Poor choice of yoga accessories
Nevertheless, there are some precautions we can take to prevent most of these injuries and experience the true essence of yoga.
The three easy, no-brainer ways in which we can avoid injuries are-
- Investing in a good mat
- Good apparel
- And the most important of them all – A good teacher
Which Yoga Mat is for you?
Yoga is one such activity which needs very minimum tools to practice with. In fact, just one- A mat! (and of course, the intent of practice). Therefore, it can be practiced anywhere and everywhere. What a practitioner really needs to invest in is a good mat.
There are mats made of different materials, of different textures, and of different thicknesses. One must make the right choice while choosing his/her mat according to their needs. Mats may be chosen keeping in mind the following two points –
- Your body type
- Choose the thickness of the mat according to your body type. It is best to use a mat that is comparatively thicker if your joints are sensitive and tends to get sore with pressure.
- Material of the mat
- Firstly, choose a mat that is durable and does not wear and tear easily. Long term usage of the mat brings a sense of comfort and familiarity in your practice.
- Secondly, keep an eye on how much grip the mat provides. If you are someone who sweats a lot and needs a sticky / non-slippery mat, do not compromise on it.
What to wear for Yoga Practice?
Does apparel really help prevent yoga injuries? If so, how?
It is important to be able to experience your practice completely. It is crucial to be attentive, fully present without any distraction by anything. Your apparel can easily be one of those distractions if it does not provide you with the necessary comfort.
People often become too conscious of their clothing during the practice. This could be due to the amount of skin shown, translucence of the cloth, stretchability or the breathability of the clothes. How do we prevent this from happening?
What are the factors to be taken care of while choosing your apparel to avoid yoga injuries?
- If you are someone who sweats too much, then it is important for you to use breathable and moisture-wicking clothes to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Yoga particularly involves a lot of inversions, stretching, rolling, lunging, and binding which means the choice of apparel must be stretchable.
- It mostly is a personal preference, what makes you comfortable. This may mean sports bras and shorts for some, loose tank tops and leggings for some. Whatever it maybe, make sure there’s no distraction by your clothing accessories like the zippers, waistbands, too tight or too loose fits.
Why invest in a Good Teacher?
One of the most important requirements to grow in your yoga practice is the guidance of a good teacher. A teacher that you connect with, a teacher that you are comfortable with. Finding the right teacher for yourself is almost as important as your practice itself.
A lot of times, it so happens that achieving the final posture becomes more important than understanding the process of achieving it. Not just this, but in the attempt of doing so, physical limits are pushed with no mindfulness from the student’s end, as well as the teacher’s end. Therefore, set your intentions right for the practice. Find a teacher you resonate with, who will help you in unveiling the true essence of your practice step by step.
Although all the above mentioned points deem very important, there are also other factors that play a role when it comes to your practice and its possible injuries. The best way to be cautious about it is to keep an eye on your breath and body alignment. Be present and mindful while you move. Once the breath, alignment and the mindfulness factors are put in place alongside the right investments, one may safely progress in their practice.
Use the right mat, wear comfortable clothing, and practice mindfully!
For more guidance from our teachers, reach out to us here.
For more such interesting content, follow us on our Social Media pages…